Monday, November 18, 2013

Rest in Him

So, I haven't made a post quite a few days. Busy time of year for me, as I'm sure it is for everyone else. Between Thanksgiving holiday around the corner; as well as Christmas and its ever looming shopping list, my kids birthdays the week before Christmas; family Christmas party; church small group Christmas party; my work "employee appreciation day"; my wife's work Christmas party; harvest season for "Harrison Farms"; hunting season (Male bonding time with my dad and brother); and I'm sure I missed a few other events that have slipped by mind......Anyway, my point is that with so much going on this time of year I find it very easy to loose sight of what is important and what matters. Don't get me wrong; enjoying my kids birthday, spending time with family and friends, celebrating the birth of Christ and God's love for us, these are all things that I value. I just find the holiday season very draining, almost like in a fog drifting through the season as if in a dream. I become anxious, tired, sad/mad at myself for not being happy at times during this time of year.

I'm sure some of this feeling comes from the burdens we (I) put on ourselves. Such as: Feeling like we have to attend every function. Buying and spending more than we really should on gifts (as if the amount of love we have for others is somehow based on the amount of things we get them for birthdays and Christmas). Not taking the time to enjoy the simple pleasure of the season. Trying not to fall behind on work while knowing in the back of your mind that regardless of how much you struggle to keep up that you will be playing catch up for the next month....ugh. Thinking about how commercialized the holidays have become. Just to name a few.

I feel the need to remind myself to REST in the Lord.

"Come to Me all who labor and are heavy laden AND I WILL GIVE YOU REST. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me. For I’m gently and lowly in heart, AND YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30)

I feel the need to remind myself that he WILL give me rest (not may or maybe, He WILL)
God wants us to come to him with our burdens and humbly lay them at his feet. He wants us to draw near to him. To rest in him and be at peace. Walk with him and not with this world. Be in this world but not of the world.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus"
(Philippians 4:6-7)

I truly am thankful for God's love, all he has done in my life, and thankful that I know that I can rest in him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Me

Me
Frog (The Man, The Myth, The Legend)

My Wedding Day

My Wedding Day