Tuesday, November 19, 2013

What's my name?

I've been thinking lately about the meaning of names. We all have a name that was given to us when we were born. Some of us had nicknames during our childhood or even that continued on with us throughout our lives. There is no doubt that there can be strong meanings behind a name.

My Son
Joseph: He will enlarge
Wyatt: Brave/strong/hardy warrior
(He is no doubt a larger than life embodiment of strength and bravery)

My daughter
Whitley: white field
Faye: Fairy
(She has always  been a little free spirit and as breathtaking as any cotton field lit by an Alabama sunset)

My Wife
Sarah: Princess
Anne: Grace; favor
(I myself have never met anyone more favorable to my heart, blessed with grace, and truly a queen in my eyes)

Me
Joseph: He will enlarge
Adam: Man
(This is yet to be seen....)

But, the truth is a name is but a name. Are we bond by a name, to fulfill only what our given name implies? Are we bound by the names we are mockingly called throughout our lives? Are we made by our names or are we meant to make a name for ourselves?

Many of us wander through life delusionally thinking that we are no more than the names and labels imposed upon us, either by others or ourselves. For some this may be, but not so for those that are in Christ. The bible tells us that for those who follow Christ here in this world that we will be given a new name in the next. Our new names are already carved in a white stone. We will not know our new name until we are truly home. This new name will have a meaning, we will truly know who we are, and at last we will truly know our purpose. God changed the earthly name of many people in the bible, their new name had a new meaning, a new purpose. We don't have to be who we were, God can and will change us that are called to him. We do not have to label ourselves. God already knows our name, and I for one can't wait for him to reveal to me who "I truly am".

So then, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; what is old has passed away--look, what is new has come (2 Corinthians 5:17)

See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. (1 John 3:2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me

Me
Frog (The Man, The Myth, The Legend)

My Wedding Day

My Wedding Day