Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Walking Close and Wandering Away

Just thinking this morning about my own cycles of walking close with God and wandering away. It seems to me that I walk closer to him in times of distress and suffering rather than times of plenty. I'm not sure if this is the case with every follower. One would think that the opposite would be true, that its easier to walk close with God when it seams like he's taking care of you, that somehow your righteousness has something to do with the good times in your life. Or that it would be easier to turn your back on God and forsake him in times of despair, when you have feelings of how could he let this happen to me? Not that I find myself turning from him in the good times; I just know looking back that I have this habit of becoming complacent and not seeking God and his word diligently.
Self reflection is a very humbling experience for me. I know in times of woe I am seeking him every second of every hour of every day, down on my knees crying out to him, lost in his Word, fully in his presents, feeling the Holy Spirit guide and comfort me. Being in a good place at the moment, I find myself longing for that closeness with him. I don't long for pain and suffering, but just to feel that closeness with him that in my life has always come at those times. I guess in those times he knows you don't have anyone to share your experience with, so he is there to share our sufferings. In happy times we tend to be sharing it with those we love which I believe is what God wants for us, as Jesus commanded "love one another as I have loved you."
I guess I may be answering my own unasked question (how can I become closer to God in the good times in my life?) Could it be to just do as I am doing, seek him more diligently? Could it be to seek out those that are suffering in times that I am not? Could it be to get down on my knees and call out to him and thank him and praise him in my times of plenty? I believe that all of these are applicable to my own walk with God. I want nothing more than to close my and see Jesus smiling down on me and for God to use me as an instrument in his plan, a tool for his glory. I will continue to love him and seek him......


"I love those who love me; And those who diligently seek me will find me." (Proverbs 8:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me

Me
Frog (The Man, The Myth, The Legend)

My Wedding Day

My Wedding Day